Broadway star Liz Callaway is a Tony nominee and Emmy Award-winning actress, singer and recording artist. She made her Broadway debut in Stephen Sondheim’s Merrily We Roll Along; received a Tony Award nomination for her performance in Baby; for five years, won acclaim as Grizabella in Andrew Lloyd Webber’s Cats; and starred as Ellen in the original Broadway cast of Miss Saigon.
Ms. Callaway has also established a major career as a concert and recording artist. Her extensive US symphony work includes appearances at The Kennedy Center, Carnegie Hall and The Hollywood Bowl.
Liz sang the Academy Award nominated song "Journey to the Past" in the animated feature Anastasia and is also the singing voice of Princess Jasmine in Disney’s Aladdin and the King of Thieves and The Return of Jafar.
Liz has released seven solo recordings, including her newest album The Essential Liz Callaway.
Accompanied by her Musical Director and pianist Alex Rybeck, Liz Callaway will present an evening of songs from Broadway musicals and her various recordings.
10 Fun Facts About Liz Callaway:
1. Liz Callaway and her sister, singer and composer Ann Hampton Callaway, sang the theme song for the Fran Drescher comedy series The Nanny composed by Hampton Callaway.
2. Liz played the lead role of Ellen in the original Broadway production of Miss Saigon.
3. Liz performed the Oscar nominated song "Journey to the Past" from the animated film Anastasia at the 70th Academy Awards.
4. Her first Broadway show was in the ensemble of Stephen Sondheim’s musical Merrily We Roll Along directed by the legendary Hal Prince.
5. She was nominated for a Tony Award for her first lead role in the musical Baby by David Shire and Richard Maltby Jr.
6. She played the role of Grizabella for five years in Andrew Lloyd Webber’s Broadway production of Cats.
7. Liz has recorded seven solo CDs – including her latest CD The Essential Liz Callaway.
8. She won an Emmy Award for her children’s television show Ready To Go.
9. Liz workshopped the musical WICKED with her friend composer Stephen Schwartz and was the first person to sing "Defying Gravity" in public.
10. Liz has performed in Sydney and Melbourne before – but this will be her Brisbane premiere performance!
“Liz Callaway is an amazing singer. She makes each song sound as if it has been written for her.” Stereophile Magazine
“Liz Callaway, a Broadway belter who is blessed with one of the purest, most radiant voices in the theatrical firmament.” The Stage, UK
The Safest Way to Buy!
QTIX is the official ticketing service for QPAC and An Evening with Liz Callaway. Selected packages are sold through authorised resellers only. Any tickets purchased through unauthorised sales channels may be seized or cancelled without refund or exchange and the bearer of the ticket may be denied admission. Unauthorised sales channels include Viagogo, eBay and Gumtree. Read more about purchasing tickets online.
Presented by QPAC and Queensland Conservatorium Griffith University
A transaction fee of $7.20 applies per transaction. Selected ticket delivery methods may incur an additional charge. The minimum price listed may be available for selected performances only. Please see the event calendar when booking for the available date(s) and time(s) of this performance.
More with Liz Callaway...
The Sky’s the Limit: Student Cabaret Showcase
After an intense week of masterclasses and workshops, the 3rd Year Bachelor of Musical Theatre students from Queensland Conservatorium Griffith University will present a special performance of cabaret and musical theatre – The Sky’s the Limit.
As part of this new QPAC initiative, the students will work with leading musical theatre professionals including Broadway performer Liz Callaway (Cats, Miss Saigon, Merrily We Roll Along, Baby) and her musical director Alex Rybeck (Merrily We Roll Along, Damn Yankees).FIND OUT MORE